Whose Outcomes Are They, Anyway? A Teaching Story

This is just a little story about learning outcomes.


I teach college writing. As of today, at the end of week one, I have seen my Fall 2017 Writing 1310 students twice. On the first day, I did what I usually do, asking them to spend the last 10-20 minutes introducing themselves in writing. Please tell me who you are as a writer. What are your strengths and weaknesses? What kind of writing experience do you have? What is your usual process for writing? Write a paragraph or two below. 

 
x
This semester, I added an activity to this writer’s introduction. I had gone over the syllabus and pointed out the course learning outcomes, but I wanted them to examine those outcomes and actually think about them. I hoped to trigger a kind of metacognition, an awareness of the big picture that would enhance their learning throughout the semester. The goals for WRIT 1310 are listed below. These are skills you are meant to master by the end of the course. On a scale from 1 to 10, how much mastery of each skill do you have at this point, as we begin the course? 

The results were a little surprising, as many students indicated that they already had good mastery of most of the skills. As I read over their work, however, I wondered how well they understood the course learning outcomes. I had developed the outcomes in collaboration with my colleagues who teach writing at my institution. I found myself feeling somewhat disappointed in the lack of audience awareness in the outcomes, realizing that I had not practiced what I preached about being mindful of all readers. The outcomes used words like “rhetorical” and “discernment,” and referred to pieces of writing as “texts,” which to students may sound like things composed on smartphones.  

So on the second day of class, I asked my students how “user-friendly” they had found the outcomes. I explained that course learning outcomes are written for multiple audiences—not just students, but also deans, curriculum committees, other institutions, and accrediting agencies. I confessed that my colleagues and I had not done a very good job of keeping students in mind. We had gotten caught up in the academic exercise of writing for other academics. We had stated that we would teach students to “construct texts” and “analyze rhetorical situations.” I displayed the outcomes, discussed each one, and took the students' suggestions for putting them into more user-friendly terms. Here are some of the results of our collaboration: 


  • "Construct texts using diverse readings as sources of ideas and content" became "Write things using different readings as sources of ideas and content." 


  • "Analyze rhetorical situations when planning, drafting, revising, and editing texts for diverse audiences, purposes, and genres" became "Analyze writing assignments when planning, drafting, revising, and editing papers for a variety of readers, purposes, and types of writing." 


  • "Apply appropriate writing processes to produce texts for a variety of rhetorical situations" became "Apply appropriate writing processes to write papers for a variety of writing assignments." 

The next step will be getting together with my colleagues to revise these outcomes. There are nine of them, which is too many, and they don't all work for students, who should be our primary audience. We should imagine them looking over our shoulders as we write learning outcomes. All of those other people--professors, deans, committee members, and accreditors--should stand behind our students.

No comments: